Tuesday, July 28, 2009

ROSCOE'S!

 I saw this place years ago on "No Reservations". The "LA" episode wasn't very good, and the reason why I'm guessing is because there isn't anything very unique or exciting about the food in LA.  I mean, I've had some really good Mexican, something lacking in NYC, but other than that there are very few places I have found that have across the board great food, great service, and an attention to detail without being too "exclusive" or connected with a restaurant chain. If you know of a place, please tell me. I feel like NYC has multiple dozens of such establishments. Chicago too, even Des Moines!! (Ok, a small handful in Des Moines, NOT including the State Fair).

I stopped in for a late lunch at Roscoe's in West Hollywood, which IS a chain (I feel more than 2 locations constitutes a chain). I love fried chicken... and I love waffles. Finally a place where I can have both!! The chicken was greasy, fried crispy, and even a little dry. The waffles tasted like waffles. Exactly what I was expecting. It was still a fun place to go. 

On a side note. In Adam Sandler's new film "Funny People", he wears a "Roscoe's" T-shirt. I think the local restaurant T-shirt craze is in full effect. So if you want appear cool, the more local or "underground" the eatery, the "hipper" the the T-shirt you will have. Anthony Bourdain is definitely a victim of this in his "Sammy's" and "Katz's Deli" apparel. Then again he IS a chef so it's ok. OR if you win a local BBQ contest and get a t-shirt because you kicked ass, it's TOTALLY appropriate to wear it, because you earned it. 

So to sum it up.... a t-shirt from "Nathan's of Coney Island", cool. "Outback Steakhouse", not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment