Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The LA, NYC Connection is.....



JEWISH DELI!! 

Cantor's is LA's version of Second Ave Deli (a lower east side destination for 50 years , which sadly closed shortly after owner Abe Lebewohl was robbed and killed outside his establishment). Cantor's appearance  is more diner than deli, brightly lit, vinyl banquet seats, cookies and pies in a rotating case, and a ceiling that's so uncomfortable to look at you feel like you're tripping on some sort of drug, which is exactly how felt after I ate an entire pastrami sandwich, a plate of latkes with sour cream and apple sauce, some pickles, and a side of potato salad. I started with a chocolate egg cream, and finished with a Dr. Brown's (cream soda OF COURSE). I felt like a kid, anticipating my first glance at the menu, even though I already knew what I was going to order. I told the waitress how excited I was, that it was my first time. She asked "where ya from"? I told her I was from NYC, she said "Ugh oh... let me know how we measure up".  The food was pretty, pretty, pretty good. ALMOST as good as Katz's (but not quite). The pastrami lost a few points when it came back a little on the dry side. But other than that... just what I needed. Who cares if it will make you fat... I wasn't homesick for the entire hour I was there, total comfort food. If you are ever in LA and have a craving for cured meats at 3am (open 24hrs), this is the spot to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment