Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chicago, Calumet Fisheries






Calumet Fisheries is located on Chicago's south side, right below the Skyway Bridge. It was featured on Anthony Bourdain's (my culinary hero) episode on Chicago. They specialize in smoked treats from the local waters and not so local (the salmon is from Canada).

As we parked the bike I noticed all these faces staring at us through the window. I was thinking "what the F are all these people looking at ??". Needless to say we were both a bit road weary and cranky from riding in the rain that morning.... when riding rain drops feel like little needles on your face, not fun. ANYWAY, as we walked in the man behind the counter said to me "do me a favor... say TARTER SAUCE"... I grinned knowing EXACTLY what he was getting at (NY license plate). So in my best New YAWK accent (with a hint of Long Island) I said "TARDA SAWCE". Everyone laughed. My mood changed instantly.

We met Carlos, the beautifully obese man behind the counter. He greeted us with a sample of their smoked shrimp and asked if we were friends of Anthony Bourdain. Regardless he treated us like we were VIP's. Imediatley we asked for recomendations. "Anthony had the smoked trout, but I recommend the salmon"... we took Carlos' recomendation. Afterall he has been working there for 13 years and by the look of him probably knows a few things about the joy of food.

I can't emphasize enough, the smoked fish is AMAZING!!! We had the fried smelts and the recommended smoked salmon with garlic and peppercorn. We sat curbside (you won't find tables and chairs) and ate like the ravenous little travelers we were, tearing apart huge chucks of smoked fish with our hands. We dipped the fried smelts in hot sauce, eating them bones and all. They were perfect, not greasy at all. Afterwards Carlos gave us a tour of the smoker and we discussed the process. He was extremely knowledgable and proud of the product they produce, he seemed to really love what he does. I found him to be very inspiring.

Sidenotes: I asked Carlos if could buy a baseball hat so I could "represent" (they sell t-shirts and hats). He gave it to me "on the house". I love this place!!!

The drawbridge in the background was featured in the film "The Blues Brothers". There is a scene in the movie were they jumped the bridge to get away from the cops. There are original pictures from the 70's documenting the stunt coordination, along with the cast. The walls of the shop illustrate all of their acknowledgments and history through the years.

Afterwards, we followed the GPS to Ann's apartment (more like a palace, this place is HUGE!!) in the Wicker Park section, north west of where we were. The GPS had us driving through some of the more "scenic" neighborhoods of Chicago's notorious "South Side". I had no idea you could push all of your living room furniture onto the sidewalk when you host a BBQ?! At everylight we were met with confused stares.. I even think I heard someone say "WHAT THE F' ARE YOU DOING IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD". One driver next to us offered Michelle a 40oz... Another commented about our "face masks" asking if we were WHITE... Oh sweet South Side, I will always remember you as the "murder capital of the US".

2 comments:

  1. Yummy...sounds like my kind of place! It is so nice you are taking the scenic route to Iowa! ENJOY and Be SAFE!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I can not believe you ate the fish BONES & all!!! Sounds like your having a wonderful trip and lots of interesting adventures. Sounds like something I would have done! Can not wait to hear more! See you Soon! Love you Aunt Dianne

    ReplyDelete