Monday, October 19, 2009

DAY 5...








Woke up around 9 am, the idea of getting on the bike again weighed over me like a chore. I checked the weather forecast, 70 degrees and clear blue skies!! For most of the ride its been really cold, even spending time in the rain. 70 degrees and blue skies, we deserved this. Getting dressed took half the time, I only need 4 layers today as opposed to 20....

After packing the bikes we went back into the hotel to have breakfast and discuss the days ride. We decided to eat quick and make the most of the day, settling on the buffet. We headed into the food area and was told the buffet wasn't ready yet, 5 minutes. As we sat back down at the table a busload of silver haired geriatrics strolled in and filled the dining hall. I felt like it was bingo night in a retirement home. Within minutes the dinning hall was full and the line at the buffet 50 people long, bottlenecking at the plate and silverware station. So much for a quick breakfast.... We ordered off the menu instead, 2 bloody marys later I didn't care that at any second someone would offer me a hard candy from their purse. My "breakfast" turkey wrap sucked... I was anxious to leave.
Peter said he wanted to be back in Brooklyn in the evening, which means we would basically have to get on the highway at full throttle. Not exactly what I had in mind considering the amazing weather. We agreed to stop at Bob's BMW in Maryland on the way and play it by ear regarding getting to NYC that night, meaning I would stay overnight in Baltimore. I set the GPS for Bob's in Jessup Maryland, AVOID HIGHWAYS. We eventually arrived on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
This road has it all, long stretches of straight, soft bends, tight "S" curves, tons of scenic overviews. This is exactly what I had in mind when I organized this trip. Combined with the incredible weather and fall colors this was my favorite day of riding. Peter rode ahead while I stopped every few miles to take some pictures. The images don't do it justice. After a few hours I had my fix and set the GPS to head towards the interstate. I seemed to of lost Peter again. I waited at a crossroad, hoping that he would double back at some point. After 15 minutes I rode off towards the interstate via a back road that was equally as beautiful, stopping at the first town I came to. Finally a cell phone signal! I was in a town called "Buena Vista". I confirmed this with a local, when asked if this was "Buena Vista" he replied "yes, but you say it like a FOREIGNER"... comparing it to NYC's "Howsten" and Hughston" street in my head. "Yeah, I'm not from here"... I replied.
I met up with Peter at the first gas station off the interstate. The skies were still blue, however I could feel the temp starting to drop. I added on a few layers, gassed up, and we both headed on the highway towards Baltimore where we would meet Peter's representative from Bob's BMW (Peter owns a motorcycle repair shop in Red Hook, Brooklyn).
We arrived in Baltimore around 9pm. I've been there before for work, not remembering anything special about the city other than the downtown marina area. There was quite a bit of construction going on and tons of traffic. We met his rep at her art studio in the Camden area of Baltimore, which reminded me a bit of Greenpoint or Red Hook. I was inspired by the architecture of the building, which was an old cotton mill. We had dinner not far away at some local restaurant. It felt familiar, sinking into the banquet. I was really looking forward to a good meal considering the lousy breakfast I had. I was not disappointed, ordering a well prepared NY strip with herbed truffle butter and some roasted brussel sprouts. They also had my favorite beer, Schneider Weisse. I didn't want to leave...
After dinner we road the bikes to some bar for a quick drink before heading out. The scene was pretty funny, some local "B-boys" were battling each other on the dance floor, I'm guessing for the "Lamest Dance Crew" award. It was awful, we took our drinks outside. It was getting late, Peter decided he would go back to NYC tonight. Considering how cold it was and my level of fatigue, I was staying in Baltimore. Besides, I had plenty of miles ahead to milk this trip for a whole day of riding, not to mention the support of my wife telling me to take my time and enjoy myself (reminding me this was possibly my last ride until the spring).
Peter was off to Brooklyn via Rt95, I was off to a warm bed. Peter told me the following day that the ride home was cold and miserable. He also received a $145 ticket for riding in the break down lane, trying to avoid traffic. He eventually made it home at 5:30 am. I think I chose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment