Friday, June 26, 2009

The Last Day, The Worst Day

I woke up around 8am in the Pittsburgh hotel room, overwhelmed with anxiety. My body sore, head to toe. Everything ached. I was so close to home, yet the idea of packing up my gear, rigging the bike, and riding for hours on the highway seemed so incredibly laborious and unappealing. Had I known what kind of day I was about to have, I would of stayed in bed.

10am, I finally get out of bed. Pack my bag, rig the gear, start the bike. There was something wrong, the engine sounded weird, there was a hot smell of metal, not in a good way. I made it 2 blocks when the bike started to lose power, backfiring, then shutting off completely. Perfect.

I called my mechanic in Brooklyn, extremely frustrated. I had this problem before and as far as I knew it was fixed. He explained that because of the amount of riding I was doing that the points closed up, creating the misfiring. Fair enough. He talked me through a quick fix, taking off the engine cover I delicately sanded the build up from the points. That seemed to work, the engine started right up. 2 seconds later the bike shut down, dead. Calling Peter I explained what happened, "sounds like you blew a fuse, you can reset it"... great... I open the headlight to see a jumble of wires. I made sure that everything was connected, nothing looked suspicious, yet again I had no idea what I was looking for. A little tap here, a little tap there, and the bike started right up, back to life!! I fixed it!! I was so proud of myself. The ordeal lasted TWO HOURS, yet the sense of accomplishment I had made me forget that part.

Riding out of town, in heavy traffic, literally right outside the entrance to the freeway, the bike loses power, AGAIN. I lose it... GOD DA#$&@, MOTHER F$#*%!!!! I stopped traffic, pushed myself up the off ramp to a "safe" spot on the edge of the freeway. I accepted the idea of staying in Pittsburgh one more day and researched my options. The BMW shop's number was disconnected. I started calling anyone that was affiliated with "motorcycle repair". After 30 minutes without any leads I started to feel helpless, which is something I am not used to. I approached the bike prepared to push her back into town when I noticed the choke was engaged. I was using the choke to warm her up and never set it back. DUH!!!! The bike started right up, I was finally on my way!!!

The rest of the day went well, riding through the mountains of Pennsylvania I forgot about the mornings ordeal. I would be home in a few more hours. I don't think I will ever be as excited again to see signs for New Jersey!! Made it onto the turnpike around 9pm, about 2 miles from the toll I noticed the generator light flashing... WTF! I waved my hand over the handlebars into the headlight. I had no lights!! No signals!! That also means that if my engine cuts off I won't be able to start her up, assuming the electronics are fried. Sure enough, I get to the toll booth, take my hand off the throttle to get some money.... the engine shuts off.

I pushed the bike over 4 lanes into the Turnpike's employee parking lot. I texted Michelle and told her not to worry. Emailed her my location and tried to get in touch with my mechanic. When I engaged the ignition the bike would jerk in spasms, not good but at least it's something. I opened up the headlight thinking maybe I blew a fuse (again). All the wires were melted together. My heart sank at the sight of it, I felt like vomiting... Now what do I do?? This is something WAY beyond a quick fix. I could literally see the Manhattan skyline in the distance. I called Peter for a pick up and again got his voice mail. I called Michelle and told her "I THINK I can push start this, I'll call you back".

There was a ramp that led to another parking lot down below. Away I rolled, not knowing what to do I put the bike into first gear... It WORKED!! Then it died. Rolled her back up the hill, second time was a charm. Called Michelle, "I DID IT!!". Made it to the Holland Tunnel, no lights. Leaving the toll I was stopped by a Jersey trooper, "your headlights!!!" I explained that my lights were fried.. he said "You ought to get dat fixed".. thanks buddy, ya think????

MANHATTAN!!! Home! Now to make my way across town. Not stopping at lights, I made it to Grand Street which leads right to the Willy B Bridge. Stuck at the light the engine dies... yet again. I pushed her to Chrystie Street, the street slopes, perfect!! Running along side the bike I got her up to speed and jumped on. My foot got caught up on my bag and over the handlebars I went doing a perfect tumblesault onto the pavement. I DROPPED the bike!!!! I lifted her up, all 500lbs, got back on and pushed myself down the sloping street. Popped 1st gear, engine starts! Crossing the Williamsburg Bridge, I took the "back roads" home.

I made it, in one piece.... What a day.

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! What a story!! i would sya you should write a book but i think you did right here!!! This is probably one of the best adventure stories i Have ready in ages!!!!LOL You are indeed quite a guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW!! What a day... Gotta give you props on the hyperlinks, they are top notch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is all seriously crazy! kids, do not try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain Obvious.... hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are finally home safe and sound!!! I do not think you (or I) could have made it through another day! Love you! xox

    ReplyDelete